As I near my 28th birthday, I wanted to make a list of all the things I’ve learned about myself so far. It can be hard as we get older and think of all the things we haven’t accomplished yet. Or notice our body and face looking older. Especially when modern society isn’t so kind to women as they get older. But, we are all so much more than our bodies and external beauty. I have learned so much about myself and have become such a stronger person. I’m so thankful for the gift of time and the hard lessons they have brought me.
I hope you all enjoy reading my list.
1. It’s hard for me to trust, but once I connect with someone I fight like hell to protect and support them.
2. In high stress situations I turn inward and get very analytical.
3. I need to be outdoors. It’s how I ground myself and re-connect to things that matter.
4. That I don’t have perfect skin. And I struggle with picking at it because of my anxiety. This does not make me ugly. It makes me a human being with struggles.
5. That what I put into my body effects my mood.
6. I don’t like to wear makeup all the time or do my hair very often.
7. To embrace my weirdness and reject anyone in my life who judges me for it.
8. To let go and sing again.
9. That anger is just repressed sadness.
10. That sometimes you have to let go of people who weren’t meant for you and wish them the best.
11. I’ve learned how to say no and stand up for myself without being scared of the outcome.
12. I want to know as much about the world and cultures as I can.
13. That art and creating are how I get my emotions out.
14. Being intimate with someone means having confrontations sometimes. It makes you stronger.
15. Having attention deficit disorder and anxiety means that sometimes I get overwhelmed and that’s okay. Support systems are important.
14. That it’s okay to cry and have a bad day.
15. That I have to speak up, if I really want something. No isn’t such a scary word after all.
16. Learned how to establish deeper friendships.
17. That relationships don’t last just on love alone. They are a choice and hardwork.
18. I am not the smartest person in the room, everyone has something to teach me.
19. Yes, I am naturally talented and gifted but I have to keep developing my craft to become successful.
20. I have to work hard for things, they aren’t just handed to me.
21. Yes, I’m good at reading people but I should not jump to conclusions because I don’t know why they are feeling that way.
22. It’s always better to stay in my lane, and focus on my problems. Rather than everyone else’s.
23. To set small goals everyday to accomplish bigger ones.
24. Family is a beautiful thing and sometimes friends become your family.
25. I do want a partner in life. To travel with, create, and support each other.
26. I need to stop being so impulsive when things get hard and avoiding problems.
Let’s see what the last two years of my twenties will bring.
I would love to read other people’s lists. Especially those at different stages of their lives.